Bone-In Pork Roast
This pork roast was an incredibly delicious all-in-one dinner! The aroma in our house lasted for 2 days!
I have added easy gravy instructions at the end that even a beginner can do! The apple juice base creates a uniquely fabulous flavor! Also, find slow-cook and instapot guide below as well!
For this recipe, we will leave the roast uncovered to ensure the best flavour!
You can use this recipe (the ingredient list) for any pork roast however, be sure to adjust your cooking time for different cuts of meat.
|Prep Time:||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time:||3 – 4 Hours|
- 3 to 5 pound pork shoulder or butt roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large white onions cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 pound baby carrots or 4 large carrots chunked
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes or 4-6 large potatoes sliced
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- rub oil onto pork roast
- In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Sprinkle seasoning mixture onto pork roast.
- Place fatty side up in a roasting pan or large cast iron dutch oven.
- Roast, uncovered, in the 450 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue cooking an additional 1 hour.
- Remove roast from oven and place the onion chunks, carrots, and potatoes around the meat.
- Pour apple juice on vegetables. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Place rosemary sprig on top.
- Cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until vegetables are tender and meat shreds easily with a fork. Season vegetables with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Optional – Gravy!
Transfer all the juices to a saucepan while your roast rests and stir in 1 cup of water and approximately 3 tablespoons of flour over medium high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and continue to stir until thickened.
Slowcooker / crockpot instructions:
Season the roast as directed in step 2 of the recipe. Place the roast directly into a slow cooker. Add in all remaining ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours.
Follow this recipe as directed, however instead of searing and roasting the roast in a large pot, you’ll do all of this in your instant-pot. Sear the roast using the sear setting on your electric pressure cooker. Deglaze the pan with liquids, and add in vegetables. Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, followed by a 15 minute natural release. Then, switch the release valve to the venting position.