This Hamburger Soup is a simple classic comfort food, hearty, healthy and satisfying! Perfect to let cook all day if you can, to fill your house with the amazing, mouthwatering aroma of home cooked goodness!
Hamburger Soup is a quick and easy meal loaded with vegetables!. It’s great made ahead of time, budget friendly, reheats well and freezes perfectly.
This hamburger soup is not only delicious, it’s easy to make with ingredients you likely have on hand! My ‘secret’ addition that truly puts this recipe over the top, was an afterthought when I realized I had meat that was going to go bad if it sat in the refrigerator another day!
I created a rich tomato broth filled with ground beef, tender potatoes and vegetables along with my key ingredient – baked Italian sausages!
Sometimes the most simple of ingredients make the very best meals!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time||45 minutes|
- 12 cups veggie broth (DIY bouillon stock mix)
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 3lbs ground beef
- Generous Italian seasoning
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 Italian sausages
- 4 cups frozen peas & carrots
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 6 potatoes
Substitutions: You can use just 1 full bag of whatever mixed veggies you prefer!
I start with a mixture of lean beef browned and drained, diced tomatoes, onion and garlic. You can use any kind of ground meat in this recipe including ground turkey. You can season this however you like but I like to keep it simple and just used a generous amount of my go to Italian seasoning with a dash of ground cloves!
At the same time, I throw the sausages in water and allow them to boil for about 10 minutes before baking them in my preheated oven.
while waiting on all the meat to cook, I dice up the potatoes and prepare the bouillon broth. Most recipes call for beef broth, but I personally think veggie broth is the best broth option to add lots of great flavor!
- Preheat oven to 350. Over medium-high heat, brown ground beef With diced onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain the fat if you didn’t use a lean meat. Meanwhile, place Italian sausages in a pot of water and boil for approximately 10 minutes and begin prepping your potatoes.
- Add large can of diced tomatoes to your beef pan and allow to come to a simmer.
- Once sausages have boiled, remove them and poke 3 or 4 holes throughout each and place on a sprayer or foil lined cooking sheet and bake for about 16 minutes – turning halfway through.
- Slice cooked sausages into bite size pieces and transfer all cooked food to a large soup pot along with your diced potatoes, 12 cups of broth and tomato soup.
- Bring soup to a boil and add in your frozen veggies.
- continue to cook over medium high heat until potatoes are tender.
That’s it! Add any additional spices or veggies and enjoy!
Notes: This recipe was thrown together in simplicity. Fresh veggies can always be added instead of frozen along with any of your favourite spices!
If you’ve tried and improved this recipe, please share it in the comments, and if you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please share it!