Teriyaki pork stir fry
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
|Servings||4 – 6|
This teriyaki pork stir fry was a huge hit for the whole family, it’s a fresh and healthy meal that’s ready in just 30 minutes!
My favourite thing about a stir-fry is how versatile it is! When I can’t figure out something ‘exciting’ for dinner, I’ll often just chop up leftover peppers, grab whatever meat is thawed or left over from another night and turn it into a stir-fry!
Traditionally, this dish is made with larger veggies – broccoli, cauliflower etc., however with my ‘throw together’ method I’ll often just use a mix of frozen peas, carrots, green beans and corn!
For The Stir-Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil divided use
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup carrots thinly sliced
- OR – we’ve also done it with roughly 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 1 small yellow onion sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup bell peppers cut into 1 inch pieces, I used red and yellow
- 1 pound pork tenderloin cut into 1 inch pieces or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
For The Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Add the pork, then season with salt and pepper to taste – or add whatever seasoning you prefer. Cook, thoroughly until juices begin to run clear 4-6 minutes.
- Remove meat to dice and remove fat chunks if you desire.
Add the garlic, onion and ginger to the pan and cook for 30 seconds and re-add pork.
While the pork is cooking, make the sauce. Place the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey and sesame oil in a small pot over medium high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Turn up heat to high and bring to a boil. (Alternatively, I placed it all in a glass measuring cup and microwaved about 2- 4 minutes until honey could be dissolved)
Mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and boil for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
Add the vegetables to the pan with the pork. Pour in the sauce and toss to coat. (If using the microwave method, I just added the whole mixture together with the pork just before adding the vegetables) Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve over your favourite rice, or gradually stir in 2 cups of cooked rice and enjoy!
Again, a stir-fry can literally have anything! Make the sauche and pick your favourite veggies and spices. I often will toss in a teaspoon or two of red pepper flakes to add a little kick of spice for my husband!